Before You Come...
THINK FARM SAFETY!
We strive to make the farm a safe and happy place for both our visitors and our livestock. Please review this information AND also review our Farm Safety Rules with your children PRIOR to using the facilities, then, have fun!....safely!!
Butterfield Acres is UNUSUAL as far as farms go:
We are open to the public.... an 'open farm', which means that we have many people visiting with our animals. Many farms today are bio-secure, which means that only approved staff have access to the animals. We need your help to keep everyone (our visitors, staff, and animals) healthy. Because we are all part of the animal kingdom, there are some diseases that can be transferred from animals to humans, humans to animals, and of course human to human and animal to animal. We need your help to minimize this risk!
Here are Wise Owl's WORDS OF WISDOM to read before you come:
- A FARM IS NOT A STERILE ENVIRONMENT! To minimize risk to our visitors, staff and animals, PROPER HAND WASHING is important! Especially...
a) BEFORE you enter the farm,
b) BETWEEN visits into different pens,
c) ANY TIME your hands get soiled
c) BEFORE you eat,
d) just BEFORE you leave the farm
- It is recommended that IMMUNO-COMPROMISED folks,e.g., those wrestling with HIV, chemotherapy, etc, and the very young or very old REFRAIN FROM CONTACT with the animals.
- Proper PETTING TECHNIQUE is important! AVOID petting areas where you may contact fecal matter (poop)...especially the tail area and feet. And NO KISSING the animals! (They'll love a wave goodbye tho!)
- The following things are NOT ALLOWED in pens ...PLEASE PUT THEM AWAY BEFORE YOU ENTER: food, drinks, gum, soothers, bottles, toys, chewing tobacco...anything that might go into your mouth later!
- WEAR CLOSED FOOTWEAR with socks. Sandals, flip flops etc are not acceptable farm wear. Boots are always a good idea, especially if there have been recent rains. Look for a stable broom mounted near to pen entrances...you can help us by BRUSHING OFF FOOTWEAR both GOING INTO and COMING OUT OF pens.
You will find Wise Owl's WORDS OF WISDOM posted as you walk up from the parking lot. Please read them through with your children and do your part!
We make every effort to create a safe, yet realistic environment. We do not, however, accept any responsibility whatsoever, for any mishaps, however caused, during your visit to our farm. Our facility is used entirely at your own risk.
Sorry, no dogs allowed.
Top of Page